When I first spoke to my client about her living room, she said that they were struggling with how to make it more homely and sociable. It wasn’t a room that the family wanted to spend time in. When I visited, I assessed that there were a few plus points:
- The room was large and relatively bright
- The fireplace and log burner were an attractive feature
- The sofas and armchair that were staying looked good and were good quality
The areas that needed consideration were:
- Furniture placement
- Lack of storage
- Where to put the TV if we wanted to make the fireplace more of a feature
- Too many “hard” surfaces – hard flooring, painted walls, leather furniture
- Colour scheme had to work with existing soft furnishings
I created a lounge that the family loves spending time in by making the lovely fireplace a feature and adding more storage in the form of two sideboards. The furniture was brought nearer to the fireplace in a sociable layout and coffee and side tables mean there’s always somewhere to pop a drink or a book.
See my blog post for more details on the project and some photos of how the room looked before it’s exciting transformation!